[mythtv-users] HELP! I want my mythtv!

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 23:47:26 UTC 2014

Hoi Joseph,

Sunday, April 13, 2014, 1:29:55 AM, you wrote:

> [...]
>>> replaced it physically only. My problem is that I cannot get mythbuntu
>>> to boot. It keeps booting to the busybox initram prompt no matter what I
>>> do.
>>> I get the normal prompt to bypass the raid mounting and I have tried
>>> selecting either Y or N and I still get to the busybox initram prompt.
>>> Drive /dev/sda shows fine in checking the the smart data. Short test ran
>>> fine. Drive also mounted just fine in test box with hot swap bays.
>>> My thinking is that because the raid I use for storage of recordings is
>>> not available mythbuntu just pukes and goes to the busybox initram
>>> prompt no matter what.
>>> I would like to recover this and not have to do a complete reinstall.
>>> Frankly, I didnt like mythbuntu because of network issues after updates
>>> caused me fits. I used to use fedora for my mythtv but didnt like the
>>> constant upgrading.
>>> Any help on how you would recover this?
>>> Joseph
>> Give some more info about what it says it fails at.
>> Also to disable the raid start remark the relevant lines in
>> /etc/mdadm.conf. Also remark out the relevant lines in your
>> /etc/fstab so it won't try to mount absent volumes.
>>
>> Tot mails,
>>    Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>>
>> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
>> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
>> Het eeuwige dilemma
>> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>>
>> De lerende Mens

> Hello Hika,

> Basically this is what I have:

> /dev/sda - 500 gig system drive running mythbuntu 12.04 and mythtv .27

> /dev/sdb - raid device 1 - 2tb drive member of /dev/md127
> /dev/sdc - raid device 2 - 2tb drive member of /dev/md127

> Since the raid device 1 died I no longer have a raid. So, I thought -Ok,
> I will pickup another drive and build a new raid with it. All the data
> is gone. I understand that and can live with it.

> However, With the raid non existent the system will not load all the way
> and during the boot process it comes to a prompt asking if I want to
> skip loading a degraded raid. Doesnt matter if I choose yes or no. It
> will then drop to a Initramfs prompt in busybox. So, I cannot start the
> operating system without my raid intact. This leads me to the question
> of - "How do you repair a raid if it the system will not boot without a
> raid?" - To me that is so stupid.

> Very similar to this bug report:

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/778520

> Evidently, Nothing has been done about it and its still going on.

> I did remove my mdadm.conf file as its useless now. But the system is
> still looking for /dev/md127 which no longer exists really. I tried the
> boot argument for not loading the raid but that seems to not work. I
> will try removing my mount statement for the raid in fstab though.

The kind of raid array you used cannot be rebuild, since half the data
is gone.
Did you physically remove both the died and the surviving drive? The
kernel will on startup find the raid signatures on the drives. The
numbering '/dev/md127' indicates an automatically detected raid which
the kernel tries to start readonly. You can remove that signature
with: mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/<your-physical-device> or just
disconnect them for now.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com