[mythtv-users] A post about no problem, but still wondering ...

Saul A. Peebsen jaglover at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 02:53:28 UTC 2014

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 22:26:18 -0400
"R. G. Newbury" <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> On 11/04/14 09:30 PM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 16:28:46 +1200
> > Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> >> Is it by chance a 32-bit system?
> >
> > Nope, 64. And it is not the memory, when I replaced the motherboard
> > it came with new RAM.
>
> Your old motherboard may have been the inadvertent source of the
> problem. I also have an HVR2250. It uses 3 modules, which have to be
> loaded in the correct order. Otherwise the card will not work. But I
> have never had the BE crash! The problem appears to be that there can
> be race condition where one module starts to load, and another starts
> to load before the first has finished loading and stabilized.
> Hilarity ensues...</sarc>
>

> I ended up adding the following lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
>
> systemctl stop mythbackend.service
> modprobe -r tda18271
> modprobe -r s5h1411
> modprobe -r saa7164
> modprobe -r s5h1411
> modprobe -r tda18271
> modprobe -r s5h1411
> echo "  Ignore 'FATAL error' messages above if next line is 'No
> output...' " lsmod | grep tad18271
> lsmod | grep s5h1411
> lsmod | grep saa7164
> echo "  No output means modules were properly unloaded"
>
> modprobe  tda18271
> modprobe  s5h1411
> modprobe  saa7164
> echo "  Modules re-loaded in proper order"
> systemctl start mythbackend.service

Hmmm ... I have all HVR2250 modules built in, no modules. Firmware, too.
Maybe I didn't describe the issue clearly enough.
Every time I came home from work and tried to watch live TV the BE
crashed when the channel was provided by HVR2250. After reboot it
usually worked, I could change channels, no problem. But only until I
switched to another card, switching back to HVR2250 resulted in another
crash. And waiting until watchdog kicks in and reboots the box. All my
scheduled recordings via HVR2250 did not record.

> Sounds like you are lucky. Your new motherboard +/- card combo +/-
> your distro don't have that problem!

My new motherboard/RAM combo had exactly the same problem ... until I
added some RAM.

--
Cheers, Saul