[mythtv-users] How to tell whether MythBuntu installation is 64-bit or 32-bit?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Apr 9 03:52:28 UTC 2014

On Tue, 8 Apr 2014 18:40:38 -0500, you wrote:

>I'm asking on the theory that the only stupid question is the one not
>asked, although I'm not feeling especially brilliant at the moment.
>
>I don't recall that the install asked whether to install 32- or 64-bit
>and I don't recall that I had an option when I downloaded the install
>iso, either, but my memory isn't exactly perfect either.
>
>So, how do I tell which I have?  The output of "uname -a" includes the
>text "i686 athlon i386" so that doesn't really help me out.
>
>Why do I care, you might ask.  The answer is that I want to install a
>package and I have to choose which .deb to download, the 32-bit or the
>64-bit version.
>
>Thanks for helping to make me at least a milliwatt brighter. ;-)

You are using a 32-bit system.  The "i386" bit tells you that.

For a 64-bit install, you want to download the amd64 .iso file.  If
you have not gone too far with your existing setup, I would recommend
starting again with a 64-bit install.  There is now much more support
for 64-bit than 32-bit and using 64-bit avoids some nasty problems,
such as running out of a certain type of address space when you add a
new tuner card.