[mythtv-users] Suggestions for mounting multiple drives where FEs use mplayer for MP4s

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Apr 7 10:10:28 UTC 2014

On Mon, 7 Apr 2014 14:00:49 +1000, you wrote:

>On 7 April 2014 12:35, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps my thinking is outdated?  I just built a MythBuntu 12.04
>> system to update myself from MythBuntu 10.04 so I'll be able to
>> migrate to 14.04 when it comes out "real soon now ;-)".  IIRC, I set
>> up the 10.04 system to use smplayer because the mp4s played better
>> (but I don't recall what "better" meant).  Maybe the issue has been
>> OBE with 12.04?
>
>For all purpose, the myth internal video player should be preferred.
>The days the myth player wouldn't play some content but mplayer would
>are long gone.

Not completely true in 0.27.  I have run across the occasional .mp4
file that the internal player was unable to play (usually I get a
blank screen and have to kill mythfrontend).  These files normally
play in mplayer.  But they are very rare - I think I probably have no
more than 3 or 4 of them.  But I also have lots of .wmv files where
the internal player can play the file, but skipping does not work and
takes you back to the start of the file (but with the progress bar
thinking it has skipped properly).  There is no problem playing all
those files with mplayer.

The internal player is much, much better than it was in older
versions, but I still have to have mplayer available.