[mythtv-users] Contemplating a major change

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 5 08:45:41 UTC 2014

> On 5 Apr 2014, at 5:14 pm, "Mike Carron" <jmcarron at starstream.net> wrote:
>
> I'm planning a major upgrade of my system, from Mythbuntu 12.04/fixes/0.25 to Mythbuntu 14.04/fixes/0.27. At the same time I'm also planning to rearrange the entire file system so that I have a relatively small (64gb) system ssd a 250gb ssd to mount /var and a 4tb hardware RAID volume for /home where I plan to keep all of my storage groups and some other stuff.
>
> My plan is to backup my database to an NAS, and copy all of my storage group directories to the NAS, do a new install of Mythbuntu 14.04, copy the storage group directories to /home, restore the database, make sure the directories I set with mythsetup are correct, and go. Have I missed something vital?
>
> --
> mike

Don't forget any custom scripts that you might have. Also maybe grab any configuration files, there will be one for mythweb and possibly one for MySQL. LIRC?

Also thinking off the top of my head - grab a copy of any custom theme(s) you might have.

Take care with host names, may need to use mythconverg_backup.pl to change hostname(s) in database if you want to keep your previous settings.

Going from 0.25 to 0.27 will you need to add the time zone table to the database? I don't recall exactly when that was added now but I suspect it will be necessary. Some settings may then need to be modified to allow for UTC time.

No doubt there will be permissions to correct when you move the media files back in to the new storage group folders but that should be pretty straightforward.

Are you reusing existing SSD's? Keeping the old system disks intact so you can swap them back in if you happen to have forgotten something can be a nice fallback.