[mythtv-users] Humming Noise coming from LCD tv

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 12:15:00 UTC 2014

Hoi Raymond,

> On 4/4/2014 5:46 AM, Mike Thomas wrote:
>> Eventually I put my computer in a separate
>> room and used a CAT 6 HDMI extender. It was then I realised what a
>> mistake I had made... DVI and HDMI extenders seem to severely restrict
>> the video modes you can use, and quite independently they also bugger up
>> the already useless EDID from the TV.

> They shouldn't.  DVI/HDMI extenders are basically nothing more than a
> signal amplifier that boosts the signal from STP DVI/HDMI cable to UTP
> CAT5.  The only reason one might give you problems is if it doesn't
> bother passing back the DDC channel, but then depending on your graphics
> driver, you could just feed it your own pre-captured EDID block.

About getting your machine more quiet. Normally the main source of
sound are the ventilators and sometimes the harddrive. You can buy
quiet fans and powerunits. In general the bigger the fan the quieter.
Also bios programm's like cool and quiet (AMD) can help. They keep the
fans at minimum speed. You need a 4 wire connection to your fan to
manage the speed and your motherboard needs to have such connectors.
Often it only has for the processor fan. In a lot of biosses you can
manage the profile used. Keep the ventilation openings of the computer
well free for a better airflow. Your fans then can spindown further.
You can also look inside if all wiring is properly laid aside, so not
to hinder the flow.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven