[mythtv-users] Migration Mythbuntu 10.04 to Mythbuntu 12.04 stuck, Need Help

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Apr 4 07:08:09 UTC 2014

On Thu, 3 Apr 2014 19:30:53 -0500, you wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 7:19 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Stephen Worthington
>> <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

>>> That sounds like a good plan.  I think Mythbuntu is the only builtin
>>> theme now - all the others need to be downloaded.  So if your restored
>>> database is using any theme other than Mythbuntu, then you do not get
>>> to see the question about updating the mythmusic database as that
>>> happens before the theme is checked and you are allowed to select one
>>> that exists to replace the one that is not installed.  So the best
>>> plan for upgrading is to make sure that you start mythfrontend before
>>> you restore your old database, and at that point make sure you install
>>> the theme that is used in the database to be restored.  Failing that,
>>> you can use the "-O theme=Mythbuntu" override from the mythfrontend
>>> command line.  I had forgotten about that option as I have never used
>>> it.
>>
>> More data to chew on:
>> Tried switching the working Mythbuntu 10.04 system to the Mythbuntu
>> theme before making the next backup of the database -- more recordings
>> and schedule data updates since yesterday, anyway.  Then I restored
>> the 12.04 system from the image I made just before I tried updating
>> the database with the 10.04 copy.  I tested the 12.04 system with the
>> "empty" database out and I could get in and out of the frontend (as
>> always with the empty database) just fine.  I even switched back and
>> forth between the Terra theme I've gotten used to and the Mythbuntu
>> theme that it defaulted to, starting off.  I got into Mythbuntu
>> Control Center and removed the MythMusic plug-in.
>>
>> When it went to apply that change, it also reported that it was going
>> to "fix" my lirc configuration, so I backed up all the lirc related
>> configuration files I could find (/etc/lirc/* and ~/.lirc/* and
>> ~/.lircrc) before I let it go.  Seems that having to manually
>> configure my IguanaIR USB transceiver gets MCC agitated, so I'll have
>> to restore the lirc configuration every time I use MCC to change
>> something totally unrelated, but I digress...
>>
>> Then I used this command:
>>     mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database --create_database \
>>     --directory <where I put my backup> \
>>     --filename mythconverg-1254-2014...sql.gz
>

>Sorry- I wasn't done yet -- hit the wrong key and it sent the mail out ;-(
>
>Anyway, I got the database updated successfully and could get into the
>frontend (yay!).
>
>I even switched the theme back and forth between Terra and Mythbuntu.
>No problems.
>
>Then I restored the MythMusic plug-in.  Boo!  The dreaded freeze
>returned. I thought maybe it was a problem with a pop-up window by
>another user account (e.g. mythtv?) that couldn't open a window
>because I (default account) had the xdisplay locked up, so I issued
>the command "xhost +" and tried again, but no joy.  I tried sending
> [...]

You can just try blindly answering the question it is asking at that
point, about updating the mythmusic database.  Check the log to make
sure it has finished its backup, then wait a few seconds more and try
hitting the Enter key, and if that does not work, try Y and then
Enter, or even Yes and then Enter.  There should be disk activity when
it does the schema update to let you know it has happened.  And it is
likely there will be some more log activity too.