[mythtv-users] Updated mythbuntu theme version 28

Ken Truesdale kentruesdale at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 00:40:20 UTC 2014

On Apr 3, 2014, at 8:45 AM, Thomas Mashos wrote:
> That is super weird, I'm not even sure what would cause that. I'm
> asking some other theme developers on it now.

I agree!  When I saw it happen after the theme upgrade, I knew it was going to be hell to describe.

> Can you grab a couple more items for me.
>
> 1) Go to the main menu screen.
> 2) Please take a picture with your camera of the full screen
> 3) Please take a screenshot of the full screen
> 4) Open a terminal and get the output of 'xrandr'
> 5) What is the model number of your TV.

> In addition to my previous email. Regarding this, can you grab a few
> things for me.
>
> 1) What is the output of " xdpyinfo | grep 'depth of root window' "
> 2) What video card do you have, and what drivers are you using?

I've posted the pictures back on the forum post, along with all the other info you asked for.

https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=110&p=464#p464

But here's a summary of what is probably the pertinent info.

The fullscreen picture doesn't show the blotchiness very much but I think that's probably because I had the menu selection on the top which produces fewer blotches.  Seriously.  You also can't see the shadow fuzz because too far away.  But you can see a little of the vertical banding.

The screenshot looks perfect.  No artifacts at all.  Hunh.  So what about the theme change would cause a problem with the video output but not with the video card?  (If I understand the tech correctly, the GPU generates the image, regardless of whether it is on the display or in a screenshot.)  Also, worth noting, VNC looks perfect like the screenshot.

Not sure if the output of xrandr shows anything interesting, but the "160mm x 90mm" is curious.  Then again, that's the same output I see on my backend box.

The TV is a Samsung PN64E7000 and it is connected via HDMI.

The frontend is a Zotac ID33-BR which shows an NVIDIA ION GT218 GPU in lspci.

On Apr 3, 2014, at 7:34 PM, John Finlay wrote:
> This is a matter of preference not a logical debate and as I recall the author asked for some feedback on preferences. To me and perhaps others the change in font size seems excessive so that I prefer the font sizing in 27.1 to that of 28.7 but others may feel differently. It's nice to have a choice to keep (or restore) the theme to one that I prefer and thanks to Thomas for pointing out how to make that simple. I personally only recently changed from 25.24 to 27.1 but I appreciate the effort to maintain and improve the theme but realize that I may not like the changes.

I agree with John on this point.  Both that I don't like the larger text and that it may be a matter of preference.  And like John, I find the increased text size in 28.7 bothersome enough that I would probably elect to either make my own version of the theme or stay with a version that had the smaller text.  (When I have time this weekend, I'll probably try to revert to 27.1.)

But interesting that no one seems to have chimed in that the text size in 27.1 was too small.  So to me, it seems like fixing something that wasn't broken.  Also, worth pointing out that the text size in the Videos section remains the same as it was in 27.1.  That's not to say that the Videos section should be increased too!  But if the text is good for Videos, I would think it would be good for Recordings too.

Ken.