[mythtv-users] hdpvr won't record through myth

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 18:50:00 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 9:25 AM, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 13:35 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>
>> HDPVRs have been reported as having issues with some USB
>> controllers.
>
> Especially the "on board" USB chips. These are notorious for not
> following the standards exactly and relying on vendor-supplied drivers
> that, of course, only work with M$ Windows. When I recently installed a
> totally new system to take over the backend/frontend-for-the-main-TV
> role, I had all kinds of problems getting the HDPVRs to work at all. I
> then inserted a Startech USB 4-port PCIx1 card, plugged the HDPVRs into
> that, and now they are 100% reliable. For what it's worth, the HDPVRs
> are the only USB devices I have that fail to work properly with the
> on-board USB ports, but they work flawlessly with the Startech ports.

I had a power supply not completely fail, but not outputting the
required power any longer.  The device would only fail when it started
to record, and then it dropped off the bus completely until reboot.
Very frustrating trying to troubleshoot it.  Luckily - like you I have
2 of them, so I was able to track it down.  You might want to check
that as well.

-Greg