[mythtv-users] Moving MythTV backend to another computer

Sam Jacobs samlists at ijacobs.co.uk
Wed Apr 2 18:25:33 UTC 2014

On 2 April 2014 at 19:12:03, jedi (jedi at mishnet.org) wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 06:33:07PM +0100, Sam Jacobs wrote:
> > Mac OS X doesn’t have drivers for USB tuners, not any that MythTV can talk to,
> > anyway. I did try using a Linux virtual machine, but
>
> Really? I thought there were a number of USB tuners that you could use with
> EyeTV these days including the Hauppauge 1313? That kind of sucks...

Maybe, but you’re stuck using EyeTV supported tuners, and they’re generally more expensive. The DVB-S2 tuner I’m using now cost me about £50, I think, less than the EyeTV software itself costs (£60, if you can believe that!).

You’re also stuck using EyeTV, which, while rock solid for me (more than I can say for the Linux drivers), isn’t particularly featureful—not compared to MythTV, at least. MythTV is a lot of work, though, and if I had the choice of TiVo I’m not entirely sure I’d keep using MythTV… but that’s not to say I’m not enjoying having something to do!

Sam

--
Sam Jacobs on MythTV 0.27, UK Freeview SD & Freesat HD, EIT-only EPG
Mac mini, MBE+FE: OS X Mavericks, bundled FE, macports BE

Sent with Airmail