[mythtv-users] schedules direct issues when running as non root

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 2 14:28:45 UTC 2014

On 04/02/2014 10:26 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/02/2014 10:07 AM, Tony Guadagno wrote:
>> hi, I have been reading a lot about the recent issues with schedules
>> direct, I have an issue but I am not sure its the same one.  about 2
>> weeks ago, I noticed that I was not getting updates.  After working
>> with it for a while, I realized that if I run mythfilldatabase as my
>> mythtv user, it seems to suceed but no schedule updates appear...If I
>> run as root, it works fine.  This was not always the case
>>
>> I have output logs for each, can anyone point me in the right direction?
>>
>> thanks in advance.
>>
>> log when running as mythuser
>> http://paste.ubuntu.com/7194368/
>>
>> Log when running as root
>> http://paste.ubuntu.com/7194369/
>
> You have an old version of 0.27 (it seems to be the release version,
> not the stable 0.27-fixes version) and you once ran mythfilldatabase
> as root user, so mythfilldatabase temporary files/directories were
> created with root ownership, so no other user can write to them (and,
> really, even if were it a different non-root user--basically any user
> other than the one running mythbackend--you could have the same issue,
> so this isn't specifically root related, but is just
> ownership/permissions related).
>
> So, ideally, upgrade to 0.27-fixes and the issue will be fixed since
> current 0.27-fixes ensures unique temp directory naming.
>
> Chances are, though, a simple reboot will "reset" things so that when
> you run mythfilldatabase as the user running mythbackend, it will work
> (and continue to work) properly (until...)--assuming your distro
> cleans up /tmp at reboot.
>
> If not, you can manually:
>
> sudo rm -r /tmp/myth*
>
> and things will work (and continue to work) properly until someone
> runs mythfilldatabase as the wrong user, at which point you should
> upgrade or remember how to work around the breakage caused by the
> broken file system permissions.

Oh, and I highly recommend seeing:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/449426#449426
and
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/449416#449416

for details about using --dd-grab-all with Schedules Direct, then
(assuming your system isn't underpowered), changing it to use --dd-grab-all.

Mike