[mythtv-users] Intermittent grey preview, recording won't play

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 22:22:06 UTC 2014

On 26 March 2014 08:46, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:
>> Does  mythfrontend -O FFMPEGTS=1  work?
>>

> I think that will only work if you have ffmpeg installed, and I notice that
> your pastebin posts are all with mythffmpeg.

No you do not.

mythffmpeg isn't required (though it is normally always built).

MythTV has implemented its own mpegts demuxer. By its own, I mean it
now has almost nothing in common with the current native FFmpeg's one.
There used to be a time they were similar, myth started from a version
and started to patch it over and over.

Myth's version supports extra things such as subtitle formats,
detecting mheg streams, having special callback when the video format
changes and so on...

Unfortunately, there are bugs and no-one in the current mythtv
developer team currently has the skills to fix them.

What -O FFMPEGTS=1 does is simply not use the myth one and use the
native mpegts demuxer: it's always built and relies on libavformat
which is always there.

Normally, when myth mpegts demuxer fails to open a video, we then
attempt to use the ffmpeg's one, so -O FFMPEGTS=1 should not be
necessary anymore.

When you do force to the ffmpeg's own, then there are features that won't work.

Just for accuracy and information