[mythtv-users] Humming Noise coming from LCD tv

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Apr 1 11:32:08 UTC 2014

On 01/04/14 11:45, Sam Jacobs wrote:

> On 1 April 2014 at 08:36:15, John Haywood (john at jhit.com.au) wrote:
>>
>> On 1 Apr 2014, at 8:25 am, Philip Isaacs wrote:
>>>
>>> Okay, so this is slightly off subject, but I've hooked up my Myth PC to my LCD TV via a DVI
>> to HDMI adapter. I then ran a single audio cable from the sound card on the PC into the audio
>> port in the back of the TV. The picture looks great but there's a annoying hum coming from
>> the TV now.
>>
>> I have a question - can you not just use sound over hdmi and cut it the sound card?
>
> Not using a simple DVI to HDMI adaptor, as DVI doesn’t carry audio. There are adaptors about that can accept analogue or even digital audio and integrate that into the HDMI signal, though, which could work around the OPs problem. Digital audio almost certainly would.
>
> Sam
>

>>> It's pretty loud too. I tried switching out the cables but I'm having no luck. Any suggestions
>> on how to fix this? I know it's not exactly Myth related but I'm guessing maybe others have
>> run into this issue.
>>>
>>> Floyd

Wrong there. DVI *can* carry audio to an HDMI connector because I have a host
set up that way.

I don't use it for myth, though, but as a quarantined unit connected to my ISP's
router and it just runs basic Debian and Skype.

The choice of video outputs were DVI and VGA. I got it working using VGA and an
audio cable but the video quality was poor, so I switched to a DVI-to-HDMI
adaptor and an HDMI cable.

To my surprise it runs audio as well so that's what I finished up with.

--

Mike Perkins