[mythtv-users] Controlling STB with Lirc

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 22:30:09 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM, aaron <memoryguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll try looking at it with a camera, as you suggested. Hadn't occurred to
> me before to try that. I know that I did have it turning my TV on and off
> when I first got the device, but that was almost a year ago now... although
> it's just been sitting there gathering dust since then... :)
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try tonight...

I used my phone camera to look at the remote and the transmitter. I could
see blinking on both when I asked them to transmit.

On the remote I saw two lights, one on each side of the front of the remote.

On the transmitter I saw two lights, next to each other on the front of the
emitter.

I assume it's normal, but I had never noticed two lights before when I've
seen the IR lights blinking away (on other devices)

I shone my camera flash on the front of the Motorola box, but I couldn't
find where the IR receiver is. I read somewhere that it's between the
"record" light and the "menu" button. I tried slowly moving the emitter
across the front of the box while it was sending repeatedly with
SEND_START, but still it didn't recognize anything.

I tried re-recording in RAW mode. It seemed to have a little difficulty
recording the buttons, but eventually it seemed to capture ... something...
if I held down the button until it finally said, "got it".

But, alas, when trying to transmit using the newly recorded codes, still no
response from the box.

There was a suggestion for XMP, which sounds promising now that I have
something to Google for... sounded like Motorola is/was switching to use
XMP on its remotes. I used the XMP template from the LIRC site and tried to
record ... but this time it went even more poorly; it was unable to record
any buttons, failing with

irrecord: failed on bit 1
Something went wrong. irrecord: uirt2_raw: checksum error

My guess is something in the template's header isn't right... maybe I can
play with that a bit... either that or it's not an XMP remote...

aaron