[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: RF blaster

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Sep 30 19:51:47 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 09/30/2013 02:59 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>> Firewire seems to be (slowly) going away.  The FCC
>> waiver allows IP solutions to be an alternative for most.
>> The capabilities over IP, however, will vary based on
>> MSO.  The future appears to be the DLNA Premium
>> Video Profile (and DTCP-IP).
>

> Ah, DTCP-IP, aka Digital Transmission Content Protection-Internet Protocol.
> Why am I not surprised the future is DRM?

But, getting back to the topic of this thread (or at least closer to
it), the question is whether or not there can be effective control
over a STB over IP.

For providers that use DTCP over firewire to encrypt the video, there
generally is not any attempt to prevent firewire channel changing.  We
may see something similar with STB IP interfaces.

Eric