[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: RF blaster

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Sep 30 18:04:42 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> The alternative is likely to take the remote's board out and wire up some
>> controller circuit you can use to connect it to/trigger it from the PC.
>> Definitely beyond my (non-existent) EE capabilities.
>
> And for real fun(*), I'll bet you could build a device (perhaps something
> based on one of the cheap FTDI chips) that emulated the USB120IR
> (probably have to fake the device id), and connects directly to your
> computer.  Some EE skills would be required :-)

That sounds doable, but also unfortunate.  A device like this should
be fully controllable over ethernet.

My Verizon provided Motorola QIP-7100 is fully controllable over the
network.  Verizon provides an Android app that allows any Android
phone to do so (I think they have an iOS version as well).  I've done
a little (very little) googling to see if I could find a protocol
document to see how this works but I haven't come up with anything.
As long as firewire channel changing continues to work, I haven't got
a lot of motivation.

Eric