[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: RF blaster

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Sep 30 13:09:05 UTC 2013

On 09/30/2013 02:51 AM, Marius Schrecker wrote:
> Thanks Erik/Mike.  I probably can't. Stupid question, please ignore. :-).

Not stupid.  Would be wonderful if there were some way to do that.

FWIW, the DISH network dual-tuner STBs tend to have one IR and one RF
remote (so that the STB is placed in one room with a TV connected to the
tuner using an IR remote and the other tuner that uses the RF remote is
connected to a TV in another room).  Dish actually has a product that
allows you to add in a 2nd IR "eye" so that you can control it with a
standard universal IR remote or Slingbox or PC or ...  It's the TV2 IR
Converter Kit at:
http://dishdepot.tv/tagged/converter-kit/
http://www.dishdepot.com/remotes.jsp
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DISH-Network-TV2-IR-Converter-Kit-/190522888292
and there's a review at:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/178038-First-Look-TV2-IR-Converter-Kit

I don't know if there's a similar alternative available for your STB
(from the STB manufacturer or service vendor).  (And note that I haven't
used the DISH one, so I am not recommending the product in any way.)  It
sounds like the converter kit receives IR signals and outputs the
equivalent signal that would have been received by the UHF antenna
directly into the UHF antenna port.  Unfortunately, it will only work
with the DISH network STBs/remotes.

The alternative is likely to take the remote's board out and wire up
some controller circuit you can use to connect it to/trigger it from the
PC.  Definitely beyond my (non-existent) EE capabilities.

Mike