[mythtv-users] sendProfile.py crashes nearly every boot (0.27)

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Sep 29 19:58:21 UTC 2013

On 9/29/2013 3:32 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 09/29/2013 02:13 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> On 9/29/2013 3:10 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
>>> The backend runs it (by the housekeeper,) In my logs,
>>> 3 seconds after the BE starts.
>>
>> If that's too soon, it would be fairly trivial to have the housekeeper
>> delay operation by a few minutes. Additionally, now that it is being run
>> by the housekeeper rather than on frontend startup, it will eventually
>> retry. If I remember correctly, it will attempt once a day until
>> successful, and then wait a month before attempting again.
>
> I'm one of those who's BE shuts down if it's not doing anything.
>
> Even if I run the command manually as the mythtv user:
>
> /usr/local/share/mythtv/hardwareprofile/sendProfile.py --submitOnly -a
>
> and: echo $? returns 0.
>
> I <assumed> that would reset the 30 day counter, but the BE still
> tries to run it (and fails) when I restarted it.
>
> I'd be glad to test an x minute delay.

Looking deeper, it seems I configured the hardware profiler to run
immediately on startup regardless, and bypassing that to add a delay
would be pretty clumsy to implement without an ABI change. There is also
no differentiation between a successful and a failed run. It will always
take the full 30 day delay.

Both of which wouldn't be difficult to implement, just difficult to fix
in 0.27. I'll have to think about this a bit more.