[mythtv-users] Changes to tmdb? Video details lookup failing.

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Sep 27 21:02:41 UTC 2013

>>> So essentially.... we just need to parse the file name, and if it
>>> finds a 4 digit number at the end of the name, between 1900 and
>>> <current year>, assume it's a year and submit it as such.  If it
>>> fails, then resubmit with it in the title?
>>

>> what happens to "The Kiss 1896"?
>>

> There needs to be some indication that it is a Year and not part of
> the title. How about something like
>
> Office Space -1999-.ext
>
> Where the value between the - - is determined to be the year?

I disagree... we should not need to use a delimiter in the file name.
Titles that end in 4 digit years between 1900 and the current year,
are very uncommon.  By default we could simply assume a 4 digit
numeric string between 1900 and the current year at the end of the
title is the year the movie was released.  Sure there are exceptions,
but far fewer than the issues we have if we don't specify a release
year.

We can also account for movies where the title is a year, by simply
saying that if the text proceeding the year is empty, then the year
must be the title.

Finally, in the case of movies that actually have a year at the end of
the title... the user may just have to manually enter the lookup
number for it.  I can't think of any, but I'm sure they exist.