[mythtv-users] Pixelation/Bad Recordings HDHR Prime -- I am at my wits end

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 19:53:31 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 6:18 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:
> I have often wondered why you can run the backend on a low spec Nano
> based computer, but can have tons of trouble on an overspec'd VM...

Running a virtual machine is trivial.  Tuning it properly for *your*
environment can require a lot of expertice, or, just getting lucky.
Especially for time critical applications (it is easier to virtualize
something that can just be slower from time to time, like a
web server, than something that has to process a frame/MPEG-TS
packet within some limited time period).  Sometimes you can
get away with no (or incomplete) tuning by throwing hardware at
the problem (I have seen this done even at the Enterprise level),
but rarely do individuals choose to spend enough money to solve
things that way (and even if they might choose to do so, they
may not know what to purchase).  There is, as always, the rare
exception, such as the individual on the list that has the UCS
C series equipment.  Virtualization should be in one's toolbox
of possible solutions, but it does not solve all problems even if
there is a "virtualize THIS" button (or should that be a finger? :-)

Gary