[mythtv-users] Program Schedules: working or not? How to (re)configure?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Sep 25 19:49:19 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Leif Pihl <leif at pihl.us> wrote:
> Whenever the Front End starts up, I get this message:
>    Could not connect to master backend
>    MythContext
>    Could not connect to the master backend server.  Is it
>    running?  Is the IP address set for it in mythtv-setup
>    correct?
>
> This occurs when it starts from a entire system restart as well as
> immediately after I've been in the Backend Setup program.   And yea, the IP
> address is set to something like 127.0.0.1

I would guess it's probably not running.

Sometimes you'll see this on boot up if stuff starts out of order.  If
you're able to start X and get the frontend up in less time than it
takes the backend to start, you'll see this message briefly, but then
it will connect up, usually within a few seconds.

If you're seeing it after using mythtv-setup, it usually means you
shut the backend down before running setup (which you're always
supposed to do) but forgot to restart it after exiting mythtv-setup.

You should always see it in your process list if it's running:

mythtered% ps uax | grep backend
mythtv   13335  5.0  1.9 7166900 155896 ?      Ssl  Sep19 433:04
/usr/bin/mythbackend --daemon --syslog local6 --pidfile
/var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid
sharkey  31316  0.0  0.0   8056   904 pts/0    S+   15:48   0:00 grep backend
mythtered%

Eric