[mythtv-users] Pixelation/Bad Recordings HDHR Prime -- I am at my wits end

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Sep 25 18:18:31 UTC 2013

> Ultimately I just decided to use KVM on top of Mythbuntu and drop
> VMware ESXi, as Joseph Fry suggested earlier.  This way (Myth)Buntu
> has full control of the hardware and I can run my Windows Server 2012
> Essentials as a VM.  This setup seems to be recording everything
> perfectly, and though I have only watched two recordings from the new
> setup, I have not seen a single instance of pixelation or audio drop
> out.  In addition, my frontend seems to load the artwork and
> recordings faster than it did before and there is no lag when
> scrolling through titles that have multiple recordings like I was
> experiencing on the VMware ESXi setup.  I'm even seeing Mythweb run
> faster, which is likely placebo, but I will take it!
>
> At this point it looks pretty likely that there was some sort of I/O
> issue with ESXi and that was causing my problems.  I am running some
> pretty intensive applications at work on ESXi and have noticed about
> zero issues.  I am running all storage from five figure SANs, so I
> guess that's the difference.  Perhaps the mobo controller just cannot
> keep up.  In any case, looks like everything is resolved, thanks for
> all of the help.

Sorry you had to result to such drastic measures... but I'm thrilled
to hear that it's working like a champ now.

I have often wondered why you can run the backend on a low spec Nano
based computer, but can have tons of trouble on an overspec'd VM...
seems completely illogical, but your far from the first person to run
into issues like you had; which is why you will rarely find anyone to
recommend using a VM for the backend, other than the few who got
lucky.