[mythtv-users] NVidia/overscan problem

mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Tue Sep 24 20:46:06 UTC 2013

I hesitated to post my xorg.conf on the list because it won't apply to most
folks, and people seem to think they can use random modelines to solve
their problems with X.  Maybe it will help you, though.  Also, it might not
be perfect, but it works for me.  Here it is:

# RPM Fusion - nvidia-xorg.conf
#
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "SamsungHDTVRainbow"
        Option          "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "TRUE"
        HorizSync       31-50
        VertRefresh     56-75

#modeline "1400x1050" 122.00 1400 1488 1640 1880 1050 1052 1064 1082 +hsync
+vsync #not working
#KEY                       FF     H1   H2   H3   H4   V1   V2   V3   V4
FLAGS
#orig modeline "1920x1080" 74.25 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1094 1124
+hsync +vsync Interlace
      modeline "1920x1080" 74.25 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1094 1124
+hsync +vsync Interlace
      modeline "1280x720"  74.25 1280 1390 1430 1650 720  725  730  750
+hsync +vsync
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "DefaultScreen"
        Monitor         "SamsungHDTVRainbow"
        Device          "Videocard0"

        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 24
#               Modes "1920x1080"
                Modes "1280x720"
        EndSubSection

        Option "metamodes" "DFP-0: 1280x720 { ViewPortIn=1280x720,
ViewPortOut=1045x675+120+15 }"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        Option      "UseEDID" "False"
EndSection

#below prevents tearing/stuttering
Section "Extensions"
        Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Like Patrick said, you need to use "UseEDID"  "False" like I've done
above.  I also have "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "TRUE" in the Monitor section.
You might have different options but this works for me in Fedora.
Otherwise, the modelines won't stick.  It's in that Ubuntu forum link, I
think.

You might not need a modeline at all if you just specify a valid resolution
in the Screen section.  I had to in my case, but maybe you'd be fine
without a modeline.  If so, you won't need "UseEDID" "False" and
"ExactModeTimingsDVI" "TRUE"

To give some background on my configuration, I have a DVI cable from my
video card together with optical audio out from my motherboard going into a
powered adapter that sends out HDMI to my television.  I did what I had to
do, and it actually works okay for now.  The adapter was pretty reasonable
at Tiger Direct, if you need something like that.  I wish I had other
options but the television is limited.

Do the nVidia settings part second.  Get your desired resolution for X
first, and then do the overscan.  The overscan stuff just means subtracting
100 pixels at a time until you get the hang of what's going on.  It's a
pain but you'll get it.  You just have to keep restarting X after making a
change.  In my system, I do "init 3" to drop to a networking level without
X, then "init 5" brings back X.  I'm sure it's a little different in SUSE.
CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE is a rather rude way to restart the X server.  It's not
always enabled, though.  Or reboot, but that takes longer :)

The +120 means 120 pixels in from the left side, I believe, and the +15 is
15 pixels down from the top.  You can make these values negative if that's
what your tv wants.  In my configuration, 1045x675 is the real resolution,
and the 1280x720 is stretched over it, if that makes any sense.  I guess
these numbers are all approximations.  There are more details about these
settings on that nVidia link on the wiki.

I hope some of that helps.

Jerry