[mythtv-users] nvidia help

glen glenb at glenb.us
Tue Sep 24 17:43:48 UTC 2013

On 09/24/2013 10:38 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 9/24/2013 1:15 PM, glen wrote:
>> i built and itx frontend with: foxconn 1155 socket board, celeron ivy
>> bridge dual processor 2.6 ghz, nvidia 610 card. 2 gig ram system. 1
>> gig ram on card.
>>
>> using mythbuntu; all updates; and at the moment 325 nvidia driver, i
>> am disappointed with vdpau playback. the vdpau is working only uses
>> about 5 per cent of cpu. i am using high quality profile with 2x
>> temporal and it is choppy in action scenes.
>
> The GT610 is a pretty low end card, lower performing than even the old
> recommended minimum, a GT220.  It's possible you simply don't have
> enough grunt to manage that deinterlacer on HD content.
thanks, yes that is probably it. would a gt430 improve things ?. i had
read a prior thread here that said the 610 could nearly do advanced 2x,
so i thought even without the advanced 2x it would be sufficient for
fairly smooth playback. the files from my hdpvr play mostly acceptable,
those are a slightly lower bit rate. was hoping i was missing something
that would improve things. i am on .27 playing to a samsung 40 inch
display a couple of years old, d630. i had to do a lot of tweaking to
get xbmc to play smoothly, but now it is smooth on hd content.