[mythtv-users] New myth installation and questions about database

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Sep 24 07:09:58 UTC 2013

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 15:18:48 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi List,
>
>I am currently running a Fedora 16 combined FE/BE.  I tried upgrading to a
>newer Fedora version so I can more recent packages (namely myth packages)
>and had some difficulties due to how I partitioned things, which was fine
>for older versions of Fedora but now Fedora needs at least a 500 meg /boot
>partition.
>
>I have now put Fedora 17 on a new harddrive and can access all my old
>files.  Fortunately, it looks like I was regularly backing up the database
>using provided scripts.  I would like to install myth on the new Fedora 17
>harddrive.  This should also give me the advantage of finally following the
>recommendations of having recordings and database on separate drives.
>
>My question: if I install myth on the new OS drive, it will probably pull
>either .26 or .27.  The old database is for a .25 install.  I understand
>that when you update with an existing database, myth will upgrade the
>database but I am not sure what how to do a fresh install and then use the
>old database and have that updated.  Should I install myth and then drop
>the database and restore from my backup using a script?
>
>Some guidance would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks

You have it right.  Do a full install of the new system and MythTV
0.27, then just use the official script to restore the full database:

  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore

Then it is best to run mythtv-setup, rather than let mythbackend start
up, as mythtv-setup is the best way to trigger a database schema
upgrade.  It will first do another backup of your existing
newly-restored database, and then will prompt you to go ahead with the
upgrade.  If your existing database is huge like mine, the backup
takes quite a while (minutes) and the screen will be blank while it
does it - just wait for the prompts to appear.

Note: Before you backup the database from your old system (using the
official script), make sure that all the tables in the database are
fully working.  On Mythbuntu, I have told the MythTV Control Center to
set up a daily cron job that does that for me, so I have never done it
manually, but I think you need to run "mysqlcheck mythconverg" to see
if you have any problems, and then use the repair option if necessary.
Tables that are not working properly may not backup and restore
properly.