[mythtv-users] Problems with upgrade install

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Sep 24 01:06:53 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jay Ashworth" <jra at baylink.com>

> 1) Data Direct doesn't seem to be loading properly.

For no particularly apparent reason, this seems to have fixed itself;
another manual reload of the channels only got it to the point where
it refreshed the programs table from the commandline, and actually
got data into the database.  But...

> 2) In LiveTV, channels [still] aren't tuning properly.
>
> It's clear that I'm getting the right channel; I can see the programming
> and the bugs, and such but each and every channel doesn't tune close
> enough for either audio lock, or sync lock -- they look like the OTA
> paid/scrambled channels used to back in the late 70s.
>
> My last test on this last night was to tune Live, hit R, and then exit
> and repeat 3 times, on different channels -- and it knows it has 3
> tuners (cause the fourth one was when I was told all tuners were busy),
> and each reacts the same way. (The tuners are a WinTV-PVR 250 and a 500
> dual; older IVTV drivers had trouble with the 500, and we used to only
> get one working tuner out of it, but as noted, it seems to be working
> here, for sufficiently small values of "working".)
>
> This feels like a tuning problem -- especially since it seems to get
> worse as I tune up the band; over about 16 I get mostly or entirely
> mpeg-snow -- but I'm using the us-cable tuning pattern which Bright
> House Tampa Bay actually says on their website I'm supposed to; they
> do not use IRC or HRC.

I've physically swapped the cards in the 2 PCI slots, and while that
didn't fix the problem, oddly, the IVTV drivers are still enumerating
the -250 first, and then the two tuners of the -500 after; I checked
the tuner models while I had the cards out, and it's correctly seeing
the 25532 tuners on the dual, and the 32032 on the single... but it
can't tune them to the channel reliably.

I did look in YaST, and found that it still knew about the 4 old tuners,
and had no configuration for the 3 new ones... and deleted the old 4, and
saw that the new 3 defaulted to PAL / Europe, and switched that to
NTSC/Cable-US, and then rebooted, but that didn't affect it either.

> and the dmesg data about the tuners on boot here:
>
> http://pastebin.com/9amyJsBH
>
> lspci looks like this:
>
> http://pastebin.com/HsPi30sV

Those predate the card swap; I assume they've reversed, but I haven't
rerun them yet; this project has chewed up 72 hours of what would
otherwise be revenue work, and I'm getting sick of looking at it.

Any thoughts, folks?

Cheers,
-- jra