[mythtv-users] New myth installation and questions about database

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 22:18:48 UTC 2013

Hi List,

I am currently running a Fedora 16 combined FE/BE.  I tried upgrading to a
newer Fedora version so I can more recent packages (namely myth packages)
and had some difficulties due to how I partitioned things, which was fine
for older versions of Fedora but now Fedora needs at least a 500 meg /boot
partition.

I have now put Fedora 17 on a new harddrive and can access all my old
files.  Fortunately, it looks like I was regularly backing up the database
using provided scripts.  I would like to install myth on the new Fedora 17
harddrive.  This should also give me the advantage of finally following the
recommendations of having recordings and database on separate drives.

My question: if I install myth on the new OS drive, it will probably pull
either .26 or .27.  The old database is for a .25 install.  I understand
that when you update with an existing database, myth will upgrade the
database but I am not sure what how to do a fresh install and then use the
old database and have that updated.  Should I install myth and then drop
the database and restore from my backup using a script?

Some guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks