[mythtv-users] [UK] ITV Channels Freeview and Freesat different series/program IDs

John reidjr at lineone.net
Mon Sep 23 17:08:02 UTC 2013

On 23/09/13 12:23, Jksj wrote:
> On 22/09/13 12:21, Paul Raison wrote:
>> On 21 Sep 2013, at 19:30, John <reidjr at lineone.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I have both freeview and freesat on my myth backend, and found a (
>>> slightly) annoying problem with ITV channels. As these channels are
>>> exactly the same from both sources, I have matching channum/callsign
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> If I schedule a "record all showings" and set the scheduling to
>>> check for duplicates, and prefer freesat ( higher quality), it will
>>> record 1 copy from Freesat, and then at another time, one from
>>> Freeview.  They don't record at the same time, so the scheduling is
>>> preferring freesat.
>>>
>> I have exactly the same setup as you. I got around the problem by
>> using the Radio Times XMLTV for listings on these channels. Using the
>> single listings source ensure that programme / series ids remain the
>> same.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Paul Raison

> I have the same set up as you but have not experienced the problem you
> are reporting. I do get the odd funny where the scheduler gets
> confused if there are minor differences in the two EPGs (patricularly
> times being slightly different). Noting your comment that  you have
> matching channum/callsign. I have Freesat & Freeview configured as
> different sources using different channel numbers. ie they appear
> separately in the EPG. That may be the key difference.
> Its a matter of getting your head round the scheduling section of
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV-HOWTO_-_0.27#Scheduling_Options :-)
> . I am considering making the call signs different so Myth treats the
> two sources as completely separate entities. This should work fine
> using the 'record on any channel' (Myth 0.27)rule with an HD filter
> when required. The prioritisation of Freesat as a source would still
> work, what do you think?
> N.B. I have been down the XMLTV route and agree that the data is more
> consistent but wanted to use the same data source as the rest of the
> country ie the EPG as it is bound to be more upto date.

Thank youfor your reply.

Do you record much ( anything ) on ITV ? BBC channels are rock solid,
with matching series and program IDs, its ITV particularly the minority
channels ITV3 etc.

I think if you tried to record on any channel "Adventures of sherlock
holmes" or somthing from ITV3 you would still see the same problem. (If
you dont, I might seperate the channels ), but my understanding of the
scheduler suggests that would do nothing to see the freeview and freesat
versions as the same recording.

To be crystal clear, the issue occurs where there are multiple versions.
The "same" episode shows on freeview and freesat ITV3 , at 9, then again
on ITV3+1, and then often repeated the next day.

If th efirst recording is on freesat, When the episode is repeated, it
will record on freeview, as it sees it as a diffrent episode to the one
previously recorded on freesat.