[mythtv-users] Hauppauge remote; how to activate? [2nd of 2 questions]

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Sep 23 15:01:57 UTC 2013

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 06:29:27 -0500, you wrote:

>On Sep 23, 2013, at 4:08 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>
>> On 23/09/13 03:29, Leif Pihl wrote:
>>> *** SEE ALSO IMAGES ATTACHED BELOW ***
>>>
>>> I upgraded the software from 0.25 to 0.27 , but I still did not see an explicit reference to the remote I have, from the Hauppauge HVR-2250.
>>>

>>>      Any further comments?
>>>

>>> As above states, please see images attached below.
>>> * Under a separate post I've discussed the program-schedule problem (see "SECOND card in addition to...").
>>> * I've also updated the "Blue Screen of death...." posting (about the MythTV upgrade).

>>> .
>>> .
>>> Below is the only external label I can find on the remote (back side):
>>>

>>> BTW, the "fine" print, such as it is, on the back side's label says:
>>>    "US Patent 5,877,702
>>>     RRS9002-8601FC"
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> The front side of the remote:
>>>

>>> .
>>> .
>>>
>> One place to look for a model no. is inside the battery compartment - with the batteries removed, of course. Of course, every manufacturer does something different, even across their own model ranges.
>

>Yea, I tried that.
>There seem to be two different numbers inside, but each is cut off half way along the horizontal (by the plastic body of the battery compartment walls), so you only see the top or bottom of the text.
>i.e.: Next best thing to illegible.

Knowing exactly what the remote is will not necessarily help.  There
may not be anyone who has actually published a config for it.  But it
is possible to create your own, if necessary.  It is a bit tedious -
you have to press all the buttons on the remote and see what the debug
tools say it is sending, then adjust the config files to match.  So
you wind up doing a *lot* of button pressing.  But that is how I built
my Hauppauge TD-500/HVR-900R2 config.

RC6 is just the generic name of the protocol used by a large number of
remotes.  It defines the format of the messages the remote sends, not
the content.

Basic theory here - IR remotes are mostly now supported by kernel
drivers that produce output in the same way keyboard drivers do, as
keycodes.  So the first thing to do is to find out if the HVR-2250
actually has a driver doing that.  Without a driver, nothing will
work.  So please do a few commands from a command prompt that will do
a bit of detective work to see what you have.  I normally do things
like this from a root login, but the commands should mostly work from
a normal login.  If they do not, use "sudo" in front of the command.

So, first, please do the following command:

ls -al /dev/input/by-path

This is what I see on the box here with the Hauppauge TD-500:

total 0
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 20 15:40
pci-0000:00:02.1-usb-0:2-event-ir -> ../event5
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 20 15:40
pci-0000:00:04.1-usb-0:1.4:1.0-event-kbd -> ../event2
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 20 15:40
pci-0000:00:04.1-usb-0:1.4:1.1-event-mouse -> ../event3
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 20 15:40
pci-0000:00:04.1-usb-0:1.4:1.1-mouse -> ../mouse0
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 20 15:40
pci-0000:01:07.2-usb-0:1-event-ir -> ../event6

In that list, you can see two lines that have "-ir" in the name -
those are the infrared receivers for the TD-500 and another tuner on
that box.  Do you have anything like that indicating the presence of
an IR receiver with a driver?

If so, then please try this command:

  ir-keytable

If you find that you get an error message that the ir-keytable command
is not installed, please install it with:

  sudo apt-get install ir-keytable

and then repeat the ir-keytable command.  This is what I get from
ir-keytable:

Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event5) with:
        Driver af9015, table rc-empty
        Supported protocols: NEC
        Enabled protocols:
        Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
Found /sys/class/rc/rc1/ (/dev/input/event6) with:
        Driver dib0700, table rc-dib0700-rc5
        Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6
        Enabled protocols: RC-5
        Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

Again, it lists two IR receiver devices and the protocols they
support.  The rc1 device is the TD-500 device - I can tell that by the
device driver listed (dib0700), which I happen to know is the chip
used on the TD-500 card.  The best information I can find on the
HVR-2250 says that its driver is likely to be "saa7164".