[mythtv-users] 1/2 OT: MySQL with more than one tmpdir

Thomas Boehm mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
Sun Sep 22 15:20:56 UTC 2013

Hi list,

how are the directories used, which I specify as "tmpdir = ...". Is the
first one used until it runs out of space and then the next one and so
on? The docs say that there are used in a "round robin fashion" and if I
understand the Google results correctly, that will not be the case.
MySQL will use one slice from the first, one slice from the next and so
on and start from the beginning. Or is it possible to specify the sizes
of those "slices"?

Background: I have 2GB in my BE and want to put another 8GB in it. Then
I want to create a tmpfs and want to use it for the tmpdir to speed up
MySQL a bit. But I have another large database, where 8GB would be too
small.

If multiple tmpdirs would not work the way I want, could I use something
like unionfs with one directory in tmpfs and high priority and another
one with low priority on disk? What will happen if the tmpfs is not big
enough for a single temporary file?

If this doesn't work, how else can I use the memory (buffers etc.)?