[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase different after 0.27 upgrade

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Sep 22 06:47:15 UTC 2013

Mythbuntu 12.04

MythTV Version : v0.27-1-g5b917e8
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.27
Network Protocol : 77
Library API : 0.27.20130902-1
QT Version : 4.8.1
Options compiled in:
 linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse
using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb
using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_ceton using_hdpvr
using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto
using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg
using_opengl using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript
using_qtdbus using_sdl using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr
using_xv using_profiletype using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
using_bindings_php using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vaapi
using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2

Having upgraded to 0.27 from 0.26, I am seeing a difference in how
mythfilldatabase works.  I have four sources in my setup:

  1 = FreeviewHD (DVB-T)
  2 = SkyNZ (via S-Video from Sky decoder)
  3 = Freeview (DVB-S)
  4 = SkyNZ-Digital (DVB-S/S2)

Sources 1, 3 and 4 are working the same with mythfilldatabase as they
did with 0.26.  But for source 2, every time mythfilldatabase is run I
get 127 bad channels added and a lot of error messages about SQL that
did not work trying to add some more bad channels.  The thing that is
different about source 2 from the others is that all its channels
currently have channel.visible=0.  That is because it is a backup
method of recording my Sky satellite channels - source 4 is now the
normal way of recording them.  But I want to keep source 2 configured
properly as the method of recording used by source 4 is a bit fragile
and I need to be able to fall back to using source 2 if necessary.

I tried setting one of the source 2 channels to channel.visible=1 and
got one fewer bad channels added when mythfilldatabase was run.  So it
looks like mythfilldatabase is now seeing channels with the visible
flag off as not being there and is attempting to add them as new
channels.  Is this a bug, or is it supposed to do that now?

I have been able to fix this problem by adding the --only-update-guide
option to my mythfilldatabase command.  I probably should have done
that long ago, as the EPG grabber I am using (tv_grab_nz-py) is not
capable of providing all the correct data to add channels
automatically.  But up until 0.27 it has not been a problem as I had
all the channels that are in the EPG correctly configured in my
database and mythfilldatabase never attempted to add any channels.