[mythtv-users] MythTV backend on headless Mac Mini (Lion) Server

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 02:24:25 UTC 2013

On 22 September 2013 12:19, Ryan Warner <ryan.warner.mn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I'm also using this server for network accounts, to run Profile Manager for remove device management, and I'm running iTunes with Home Sharing to serve media to all our iDevices.
>
> Does the macports version work more reliably than the .dmg?

you would have the same issue with macports at this stage... only
issue here is that you get no feedback/logs because you're running the
bundle app.

Running directly the exe will give you more feedbacks and once you've
sorted it out (most likely a mysql issue) it will run just fine.

The advantage of using macport at this stage is that you gain the
perl, php and python bindings, so things like metadata lookup will
work.

if you're aim is to run a backend, using macport makes more sense IMHO.

> What about running linux in a virtual machine?  I would think it should talk to my HDHomerun just fine.  But I was also hoping to connect it to my Motorola cable box via firewire and capture some content that way.  I have less hope of getting that to work from a VM.

no need to if you have an hdhomerun... it's when you want to use
DVB/ATSC cards that linux is the only way to go at present