[mythtv-users] Suspend to RAM almost working, but not quite

Enno Middelberg enno.middelberg at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 06:18:38 UTC 2013

Hello,

still trying to get suspend to RAM working on my combined FE/BE with
Mythtv 0.26 (Debian-based). My DVB card doesn't like suspend, so for
suspend I have to stop both the frontend and backend, then unload the
module (ddbridge) and then suspend. Doing this by hand works fine, and
after wakeup everything works again.

However, I believe there is a deadlock when doing this automagically:
mythbackend decides it wants to suspend, and calls pm-suspend, which
then calls /etc/pm/sleep.d/6767_stop_mythtv_rmmod_ddbridge, which
executes a

/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend stop
rmmod ddbridge

and this script (I think) waits for the backend to stop, which never
happens because pm-suspend has been called by the backend...

Several people seem to have encountered this situation and provided
solutions (eg, http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Lwoggardner), but they
all used the upstart system (ie, a Ubuntu derivative), which I am not
using.

So what to do? Essentially I need mythback to terminate itself so it
frees the DVB driver, which I can then unload and suspend the machine.

Many thanks,

Enno