[mythtv-users] mythv 0.27 test packages (future RPM Fusion)

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 16:54:41 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 4:12 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > True, but this is a fairly well used installation, so it's worth
> evaluating
> > if the directory can be removed.
>
> However, have you ever used the video functionality?
> The code uses the /video/ subdir of .../data/  (in at
> least some of the code, for some code paths).  And
> the git commits for the app show creating the .../data/
> and subdirs specifically so that the app works correctly
> for all cases, not just what one sees on their system.

My package doesn't create the video and video_covers directories so mythweb
must be handling that itself.

> I agree that one could review the app and determine
> if there are (now) unused subdirs based on current
> patches.  But if that is so, one should apply the patches
> "upstream" (i.e. in mythweb itself).
>
> > Per the guidelines[1] /usr/share is preferred, though presumably that's
> > intended for static data...
>
> Exactly.  And this app is not all static data.
>
> > It also mentions not using /var/www because 1)
> > user may already have data there, and 2) it's not part of FHS anymore.
>
> "base" /var/www is certainly not optimal (although
> subdirs might be acceptable in some cases).  However,
> neither is writing in /usr/share :-)

Ok, agreed on the last two points! :)

> > Since the recommendation for mythweb is to run with SELinux off, I'm
> > starting to like the idea of symbolic links to somewhere in /var or
> > /var/cache for writable stuff.
>
> I believe the FHS suggests /var/cache/www/ or /var/cache/<app>/
> as a possible locations, but it also clearly states that anything
> under /var/cache/<whatever> must have the app support
> having the content disappear (usually because of running out
> of disk space, and the system admin deleting the caches),
> and I am have not reviewed the code to insure that mythweb
> will support a system admin deleting the files while it is running
> (one would have to test).  In theory it should, but we do have

practice (which may be different).

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking before, I think /var/lib/mythweb is
far more appropriate and in line with what mythtv does. I've got a test
package for 0.26.1 that I'm going to test out on my combined FE/BE.

> Note that apache must be configured to follow symlinks.
> The default conf only follows symlinks under the .../data/
> directory (not the base one).  There are numerous
> potential solutions to that issue, of course.

The two "extra" directories in the base dir were being created by the spec
file I inherited. I grepped through the source and couldn't find anything
that uses them so I think those are definitely superfluous so if everything
is written under mythweb/data we should be OK.

Thanks,
Richard