[mythtv-users] Apache authentication problem with mythweb

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 17:07:04 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 4:40 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is probably more of an Apache problem than mythweb, but I'll ask
> anyway.
>
> I've had an ongoing problem with getting authentication to work when trying
> to access my mythweb page from my Android phone when using the cellular data
> network.  I am using Apache Digest authentication.  I can access the mythweb
> page from home, using my username/password, but typically (though not
> always) when I am not using WiFi, it does not prompt for a username/password
> and gives the following response:

There were various anecdotal reports that digest authentication
was broken in interesting ways on Android before 4.0.3.  I would
presume you (nominally) have 4.3 (or better :-), but if not, there
you are.  The reports indicated that proxies were often involved,
and many mobile operators use proxies.

You might consider simplifying and just use basic auth with
TLS for external access to your home server since you are
still vulnerable to MITM attacks when using digest.

Gary