[mythtv-users] High end, state of the art Myth Frontend

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 16:50:00 UTC 2013

> I don't care *what* you do with video, but long form drama should be
> "film", and needs to have motion blur, or frame judder, or whatever term
> you choose, for people's minds to wrap around it.
>
> Not everyones; I'll get contention here... but the majority, I would say.

I'll contend. "The Hobbit" was an awful movie but I love, love, loved
the 48fps wide pans. The 24fps pans in "Lord of the Rings" look like
absolute crap by comparison. The judder takes me out of the movie and
reminds me that I'm watching technology from 1926. Seriously. 87 years
old.

If I had any complaint about 48fps, it's that they didn't go far
enough. 96-120fps would be a good place to start.

If there are people out there that enjoy wearing animal skins, writing
on stone tablets, and blurry jumpy motion, then give the rest of us
~100fps and those luddites can just use 24fps post-processing filters
on their TV to downgrade the content so it "looks like a film".

I'm only half kidding. :)