[mythtv-users] High end, state of the art Myth Frontend

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Thu Sep 19 16:20:09 UTC 2013

On 19 Sep 2013, at 17:03, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

> I'm not going to reply in line... this thread is getting really messy.
>
> I concede that, given the same target bitrate, compression of 1080p
> might meet or exceed the quality of 1080i with the right encoder.  I
> agree with much of what your article has to say, though they were
> using 1080i25 instead of 1080i50, which would be a better analog to
> our 1080i60 in the US.

Actually the paper is talking about what I always know as 1080i50

From an EBU paper on HDTV format designations:

"With the 1080i/25 format, 50 fields (half frames containing only 540 lines) are transmitted per second, whereas the 720p/50 format contains 50 full-frames with 720 lines per second (therefore it is designated 720p/50)."

I find the new official 1080i/25 1080p/50 designations unclear, yet another reason interlacing should be a historical artefact.

> Ironically, my early statements in this thread were simply that
> interlaced formats should have been dropped completely when the HD
> standards were established, that there was no good technical
> justification to keep them;

In that I wholeheartedly agree :-)

> somehow I ended up arguing that there was!

Nah, that was the other guy ;-)

Andre