[mythtv-users] External drive for recordings

MS ms2 at hipcat2.plus.com
Thu Sep 19 12:21:32 UTC 2013

> On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 07:38:32 +0100, you wrote:
>
>> Folks:
>>
>> I have been unable to persuade Myth to record to an external USB hard
>> disc.  For instance -
>>
>> /media/gt/HD2012/mythtv/recordings = 775 mythtv:mythtv
>>
>> Set this in the Back End Default Directories and it is ignored even
>> though mounted and accessible by other means.
>>
>> I have succeeded previously so I must be missing something basic.
>>
>> Myth 1.026 under Ubuntu 13.04 running on a Revo.
>>
>> Any thoughts?  Many thanks.
>>
>> GT
>
> Try moving an existing recording file you have watched and want to
> delete now over to the drive (use the I key twice on the recording to
> see its file name).  When it is on the USB drive, is it still visible
> to MythTV?  If not, then you probably have a typo in your storagegroup
> setup.  If it is, try deleting it.  Does that work, or are there error
> messages about the delete in mythbackend.log and it stays listed in
> the deleted recordings list?

Curiouser and curiouser.
I can copy a recording from /var/lib/ to /HD2012/
If I Delete it in the Previously Recorded screen it disappears from that
screen but returns to the Watch Recordings screen and both copies of the
recording remain intact.
Deleting from the Watch Recordings screen does not change either of the
file copies.
After restarting Mythtv only the HD2012 copy remains, the /var/lib copy
has been erased.

I did try changing the Live TV default to HD2012, then live TV refused
to run at all.  Myth appears unable to see that, or another eSATA,
external drive.

Thanks for your help.

GT