[mythtv-users] connection issue

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Wed Sep 18 19:56:02 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-09-18 at 10:01 -0400, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> Greetings Mythizens, whenever I boot the box, manually or
> automatically, the FE can't connect to the BE and asks if it is
> running. A "status" query shows it is running, but FE will not connect
> until I shutdown and restart the BE. I'm running 0.25 fixes in a
> Ubuntu 1204 LTS desktop. A Ubuntu forum thread suggested a "sleep 10"
> in the "/usr/bin/mythfrontend" could work, but not in my case.

/usr/bin/mythfrontend is an executable file except for the mythbuntu
distro (which uses some scripted hack).
So adding "sleep 10" to that file location is not useable for most..

How do you stop & restart the BE ?
sudo service mythtv-backend stop/status/start ??

The backend logfiles should show if the BE started successfully. Mysql &
network status are likely problems.

I would have a long look at/study of the mythtv-backend upstart job
script example on mythtv wiki.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Upstart_mythbackend_Configuration

Please that note that the script requires you to choose between various
options.
You must study the options carefully before attempting any changes.
You could post the differences between your system upstart job and the
wiki example.

It is possible that your system is still using the older start scripts.
(The upstart scripts can still be manually used)

That upstart script/method works well with ubuntu 10.04 & latest mythtv.