[mythtv-users] High end, state of the art Myth Frontend

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 16:40:55 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:
> Agreed!  They should have done away with interlaced with all HD
> formats, there was no technical reason to keep it.

Selective memory there?  There were some technical
justification to keep it at the time that the standard was
being decided (the '80s), although you may not agree
with the reasoning (or the requirements), and I would
agree that today some of those reasons are less
convincing (partially as a reflection of 30 years of
Moore's law and what you can put inside the box).

> Best is subjective anyway.  I have a hard time deciding if I like
> feeding my TV a 1080p deinterlaced signal, or a a native 1080i signal
> and letting the TV handle it.. the results are almost identical.

That may simply be a reflection that you have a high
quality TV (or, at least, someone put a high quality
de-interlacing chip/core into your TV).  Some of the
TV de-interlacers have been evaluated as quite good,
some, terrible.