[mythtv-users] High end, state of the art Myth Frontend

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Sep 18 16:16:26 UTC 2013

>> What is the current best de-interlacer for high motion (sports)
>
> I'd have to say it's picking up a $5 wrench and repeatedly hitting
> whoever it was decided it should be interlaced in the first place.

Agreed!  They should have done away with interlaced with all HD
formats, there was no technical reason to keep it.  Served it's
purpose in the early days of analog television, but was moot with the
invention of better phosphors

> I generally settle for less than best.

Best is subjective anyway.  I have a hard time deciding if I like
feeding my TV a 1080p deinterlaced signal, or a a native 1080i signal
and letting the TV handle it.. the results are almost identical.

> When picking out hardware for a mythfrontend, the main question is
> whether or not it will be exclusively a mythfrontend or will need to
> serve other purposes as well.  If not, there's not much benefit to
> buying more power than you need.

Indeed... though having a little 'extra' can save you down the road.
For example, lets say that a new compression standard comes along that
your GPU can't decode... $50 more CPU might save you from replacing a
$100 GPU.  But then I always make my purchases with upgrades in mind.
Like my Ivy Bridge Mobo, that I am running a Sandy G540 Celeron on...
I paid $100 for the combo if that.  I could have spent $300 on an i7
for that mobo, but I figured I'll pick one up used for $50 down the
road.  I take the $150 I save doing it this way and get a better case,
power supply, and cooling... the stuff that will likely survive
through several builds.