[mythtv-users] High end, state of the art Myth Frontend

mythtv at phipps-hutton.freeserve.co.uk mythtv at phipps-hutton.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Sep 18 12:53:14 UTC 2013

Quoting Andre Newman <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk>:

> So I need to replace it and in an antidote to the myriad cheapest,
> smallest, slowest, can I run it on a calculator threads… I'd like to
> investigate what is the very best option for a state of the art high
> end mythfrontend. There is some stuff on the wiki about
> de-interlacing quality but it doesn't feel very up to date, I follow
> the mailing list quite well and I don't recall any quality
> discussion beyond, does it stutter.
>
> I've compared a few uPnP media player devices and I don't find the
> same video quality as VDPAU with Advanced 2x de-interlacing.

Well, just to annoy you I thought I'd report that I run Advanced 2x on
a "Zotac D2550-ITX-B Wi-Fi Supreme" frontend. £24 total including 2x
2GB memory from mini-itx.com. It's mounted sideways on the back of my
LCD TV in an M350 box from mini-box.com and I've removed the fan so
it's now quieter than then the inverter in the TV.

It's a dual core Atom CPU so is slow for anything that is not handled
by vdpau. I don't know if will do interlaced output but Advanced 2x is
better then the TV (Sony Bravia, 3 years old) for the same material
(DVB-T2 H.264).

Cheers,
Tim.