[mythtv-users] partial database restore

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 17 19:36:56 UTC 2013

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 18:58:01 +0100, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:

> On 17/09/13 17:45, UB40D wrote:
>>
>> For example in the new reinstall, at the end of scanning for channels
>> (the
>> operation that lasts 15-20 mins) it said things along the lines of "I
>> found
>> [duplicate/unrecognized/new/conflicting] channels, what now?" and I had
>> no
>> real clue what the message meant nor what the correct answer might be. I
>> thought I picked the sensible option (no duplicates etc) but this
>> morning I
>> found that, when scheduling new recordings,
>> - in the channel listing I have only one BBC ONE HD, and it has no
>> program
>> data whatsoever; but
>> - in the "grid" tv schedule I have two BBC ONE HD, one of which is empty
>> and the other one with data.
>> Go figure...
>>
> Focusing on this particular problem, I can only agree. Even knowing what
> the scanner is doing, the messages that result are unhelpful and the
> options presented less than intuitive. Selecting the wrong option can
> delete all the existing data!
>
> ~ Having a channel that is empty and then getting another which has data
> usually means one thing: The first channel didn't have the correct
> xmltvid in it so was ignored by mythfilldatabase, which promptly created
> another entry, which of course has no tuning information.
>
> When I first began doing scan it used to flummox me when I obtained a
> complete list of valid channels and then ran mythfilldatabase, only for
> that to result in a complete duplicate list! Manually deleting that lot
> and fixing it is a pain...
>
> You can also have fun if your scan receives transmissions from more than
> one transmitter. That can produce duplicate channels of the regional
> stations and until you tune them there is little clue as to which is
> which. That also requires a song-and-dance to correct.

+1 to that.

I had to re-tune recently, which reminded me of the joy of using
https://github.com/StarsoftAnalysis/mythupchuk - I haven't seen it
mentioned for a while. Whilst hardly intuitive, it works well and, once
you've used it a few times, makes tuning a breeze because you can do
everything by editing a text file.

Regarding multiple transmitters and long scan times, the usual advice is
to first prune your transports ("Edit Transports") to match the
multiplexes for your region as shown by
http://www.ukfree.tv/transmitters.php, then always delete all channels
before scanning using "Scan all existing transports".

You can then use mythupchuk to delete channels, fix channel numbers/names,
xmltvids, visibility etc via a text editor. It also back-ups your previous
channel configuration.