[mythtv-users] Working samba config for Mythtv videos

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 17 04:54:29 UTC 2013

On 09/16/2013 11:50 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 11:42 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> True, in the shell you can force it with rm -f or by answering the "remove
>> write-protected regular file" prompt, but I'm pretty sure MythTV won't
>> actually delete a file unless you have write permission on that file.
> That would surprise me.  The unlink() function (what I would assum
> MythTV would use) doesn't check for that.  In the shell, you can use
> the unlink command rather than rm and you don't get any of that
> cowardly rm behavior of asking for confirmation.  It just goes ahead
> and does it.

Well, my "pretty sure" means, "sure about recordings, but who knows
about other stuff."  I wasn't sure what the OP was trying to delete, and
with 10 billion crazy settings in MythTV, someone may well find a path
that uses other code, so I didn't make it an absolute.

Feel free to try it if you like.  And, FWIW, I just tried again in case
I was misremembering it, and when deleting mythtv:mythtv at 444 files in a
mythtv:mythtv at 775 directory, the recording pops back up after deletion
and there's a Delete Error in the logs and an "eno: Permission denied
(13)".  (Remember, though, that MythTV will happily delete the recording
to the Deleted recording group, and you won't get the delete error until
it actually tries to remove the recording file from disk.)

Mike