[mythtv-users] Is anyone using the Ceton PCIe quad?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 21:14:35 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> If all the channels you care about are in the clear, you can get a
> tuner which doesn't support decryption at lower cost than a cable card
> tuner.  It saves not only the cost of the tuner itself, but also the
> rental fee for the cable card.
>
> The only advantage to the cable card is that it doesn't require
> mapping the channels the way a clear-QAM tuner does, so it's somewhat
> easier to set up and maintain.

There is the (theoretical at this point) future proofing for if
(when?) Bright House decides to encrypt the B1 tier (and,
perhaps, a higher resale value in the future; I expect a whole
bunch of HDHR dual cards to show up on eBay real cheap
real soon now now that Comcast is rolling out B1 encryption).
However, I have heard nothing about BH encrypting B1, and
by the time they do so there may be better choices available.
You know, the future can be hard to predict.....

Gary