[mythtv-users] Comcast encryption of STARZ on Firewire

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 00:16:41 UTC 2013

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Bob Shanteau <rmshant at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am running MythTV 0.27 on MythBuntu 12.04.3 using a Firewire connection
> to a Comcast DCH 3200 HDTV set top box. My Comcast subscription plan
> includes STARZ. I can see all the STARZ channels just fine on my TV, but in
> MythTV I cannot tune to the SD and HD primary STARZ channels (in my case,
> STARZP and SZHDP in Monterey, CA) in MythTV (I can tune to all the other
> STARZ channels, all of which are SD, just fine). On those two primary STARZ
> channels, I see
>
> (_LAMC) Partial lock
>
> otherwise I get a black screen.
>
> I called Comcast technical support and they had a technician come out. I
> explained that it was probably a 5C encryption problem (Copy once vs. Copy
> many), and although he promised to talk to the guy in the Monterey office
> who handles programming, nothing happened.
>
> Has anyone else had any luck with getting Comcast to make corrections to
> their 5C encryption codes on premium channels?
>
> Bob Shanteau

Encryption is not your problem, it is copy protection.  Comcast policy is
to copy protect only premium channels and any channels where the content
provider requests copy protection.  Believe it or not, Comcast strongly
discourages content providers from requesting copy protection.  Although
some may get premiums channels without copy protection, this is in error.
 It usually comes down to the thoroughness of the local franchise to adhere
to the corporate policy.

-Tom