[mythtv-users] More beginner's questions

E James e_james at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Sep 14 00:54:13 UTC 2013

On 13/09/2013 10:46, Thomas Boehm wrote:
> E James wrote:
>> Step 1
>> I have just done a fresh install of Lubuntu 13.04 on my Asus EeePC
>> X101CH netbook followed by MythTV frontend and backend from the
>> repository. NB. I did not reformat the home partition, just the root
>> "/" partition. There were a few questions along the way which I may
>> have answered incorrectly. The first problem is the backend setup.
>> First the country selection and then the database configuration which
>> says "MythTV could not connect to the database. Please verify your
>> database settings below." Currently the settings are
>> I suspect any or all of hostname, user and password may be wrong. It's
>> stuck in a closed loop. Any attempt to exit just restarts it.
>
> In most cases the mysql permissions are wrong. What does
>
> grep -R "bind-address" /etc/mysql/
>
> say? If the FE on the netbook is the only one in your network, then
> 127.0.0.1 should be fine, otherwise set it to 0.0.0.0 and restart mysqld.
>
> HTH
> Thomas

Thank you Thomas for your reply.

grep -R "bind-address" /etc/mysql/    produces the following lines

/etc/mysql/conf.d/mythtv.cnf:bind-address=0.0.0.0
/etc/mysql/my.cnf:bind-address          =127.0.0.1
grep: /etc/mysql/debian.cnf: Permission denied

Mythtv setup asks a question someting like "Will other computers use this backend server?" On this occasion I said yes. I know this has implications regarding localhost and IP address (fixed or DHCP). If I actually get it working, I might try a second frontend.

If you can suggest a neat and simple way to stop that endless country / database loop, it would be very helpful. At this time I can only work with a terminal because the loop operates in full screen in the gui and blocks all other activity.

What do you mean when you say "restart mysqld"? About 3 months ago I thought I would attempt to learn about mysql - I thought it would solve a specific problem. I managed to install it in both Windows 7 and Linux but then I got stuck. As usual the instructions left out critical information. In this case the first one or two steps after installation are not described. Questions such as "Why are the default file locations what they are? How do I change them? How do I manage more than one database?" My original objective was to create a database which would be accessible from at least 2 computers. I got nowhere close to that target.

E_James