[mythtv-users] Thank You AND follow up question re the "cd" command... Re: (Presumed) Firmware problem with Hauppage HVR-2250

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Sep 13 12:10:58 UTC 2013

Mike Perkins wrote:
>Bong! I recommended /lib/firmware and I'm using Debian.
>
>Any firmware file is by definition a /system/ file, since it has to be loaded
>into the peripheral by the device driver. Files under places like /usr or
>/usr/local tend to be what they imply - files relevant to the user, not the system.
>
>Again, as somebody above mentioned, different OSs have different rules, but that
>path immediately rang alarm bells with me. Debian is happy with files under
>/lib/firmware, and if you install firmware files from their repos that is where
>they will go.

Not having seen the previous thread ...

If these were user added firmware files - as in the instructions say "Download foo from blah, extract file bar, ..." - then there's an argument for them being in a 'local' directory so they aren't mixed up with standard Distro files.

Also, don't confuse usr with user. Whether right or wrong, many years ago I was pulled up on this and told that usr is Unix System Resources - hence anything that's system specific rather than user files (which go in /user, /User, /home, or any one of dozens of variants depending on the system and/or how the admin set it up.

But the very short answer as to where a tuner firmware file belongs ? "It depends" !