[mythtv-users] No More Free DTAs From Comcast

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Fri Sep 13 02:45:43 UTC 2013

On 9/12/2013 4:26 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 10:44 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:
>> Wait, you're able to use a HDHR Prime with a CableCard on Comcast WITHOUT
>> the $10 "HD Programming Fee"?
> The OP said yes (and that confirms my understanding), but with the caveat
> that that means you do not get the HD programming (including in some
> locations, apparently, no HD versions of OTA programming(*)).  However,
> in the general case, you are going to have to get the CSR to understand
> *exactly* what you are asking for, and (with a good probability) call after
> your first bill to try to fix it again because of a "misunderstanding" (after
> all, who does not want HD?  You *must* have been mistaken to not
> want HD :-).
>
> Note that the fees for "HD Programming" (and additional "outlet fee"s)
> varies from franchise to franchise.  And so does what features/options
> are available (and some people who are "grandfathered" into particular
> packages get things that no one else ever will again (just like some
> grandfathered cell phone plans (can anyone same unlimited data))).
> Unless you live in the same location as the OP, your rates and available
> packages may (will) be different.

OP here. Here's what happened. I started with a full on HD cable box and
an analog HD encoder for Myth. (Whatever that single available model is,
I can't remember off the top of my head. It has since been shelved and
is no longer used.) With the advent of the HDHR Prime, I ordered one,
went down to the Comcast office, picked up a CableCard. I figured out
how to get that combination working with Myth and once I was happy and
secure with that, I took the HD cable box back to Comcast. At that
point, the HD Progamming Fee disappeared from my bill. In fact, I am
getting a $2.50 User Owned Equipment credit on top of everything else.

Now was this an artifact of my particular order of ordering? I don't
know. No one ever asked if I wanted HD programming. I never brought up
the subject. The HD channels come in fine. As I mentioned in a previous
post, when I asked for an HD-DTA, the lady was nice enough to tell me
ahead of time that the HD Programming Fee was being added to my bill
automatically. I said no.

I have since ordered a second HDHR Prime. Once it arrives, I will go
down and order a second CableCard. I will make sure the fee is not
added. I *should* have done this ahead of time. Alas, I am imperfect.