[mythtv-users] More beginner's questions

E James e_james at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Sep 13 01:34:47 UTC 2013

I'm back again. Since the beginning of the year I have been doing most of my digital TV recording using DVBLink software on my ReadyNas. It's fairly straightforward although there are still some aspects I don't understand. I would still like to record TV using linux and I have continued to experiment with MythTV, XBMC TVHeadend etc. I think I'm correct in saying that I have yet to find a set of instructions which actually applies to the software I'm trying to use. I have managed to work out answers to one or two of my previous questions but I am still struggling, so maybe I should try to move just one baby step at a time.

Step 1
I have just done a fresh install of Lubuntu 13.04 on my Asus EeePC X101CH netbook followed by MythTV frontend and backend from the repository. NB. I did not reformat the home partition, just the root "/" partition. There were a few questions along the way which I may have answered incorrectly. The first problem is the backend setup. First the country selection and then the database configuration which says "MythTV could not connect to the database. Please verify your database settings below." Currently the settings are

Hostname:  localhost
Ping test server? (check)
Port:  3306
Database name:  mythconverg
User:  mythtv
Password:  B8nwcrsF

I suspect any or all of hostname, user and password may be wrong. It's stuck in a closed loop. Any attempt to exit just restarts it.

Suggestions please.